Support for students

We put our students at the heart of everything we do, so we are keen to make sure your degree experience goes smoothly.

Preparing for your first year of life as a degree student can be daunting, but our HE Academic Registry Team (HEART) will make this time as easy and exciting as possible for you. We can give you the support you need to not only be successful, but also to make sure that your time with us is a great experience.

We are available at our Knightstone campus in room 511 and University Campus in room A125 Monday – Friday, feel free to pop in for any advice or even just a chat! We can offer help and advice with:

The support we offer…

Mental health and wellbeing

We have a dedicated Mental Health and Wellbeing Specialist Support Instructor for Higher Education students who is available to all students on a one-to-one basis, as well as offering workshops and drop-in sessions, and working to raise awareness of mental health and wellbeing.

For more information, contact Alice Petrie on 01934 422 763 or text 07966 996530.

Student finances

Student loans: We can provide advice on applying for your tuition fee and maintenance loans, as well as any grants, bursaries or scholarships that are available to you.

Short-term loans: We offer short-term interest-free loans up to a maximum of £250, to help students who find themselves with temporary cash flow problems caused by circumstances beyond their control, most frequently if a loan installment has not arrived.

Access to Learning Fund (ALF): The ALF is additional money that students can apply for that may be able to provide additional financial support to students who are experiencing financial hardship. The government has identified certain priority groups for this fund.

They are:

  • Student parents, especially lone parents
  • Sutdents from low income families
  • Students from foyers or who are homeless
  • Care leavers
  • Mature students who have other financial commitments
  • Final year students
  • Disabled students
  • The National Scholarship Programme 2013

Applications can be obtained from HEART.

International students

Leaving your own country to study in the UK is a big step, but you can be assured of a friendly welcome and lots of support at UCW. If English is not your first language, we do ask that you have an International English Language Test (IELTS) grade 6.0.

Careers guidance

We have a dedicated careers service for degree students. The service provides resources to help you explore your career options, including group workshops, and one-to-one careers coaching through drop-in sessions and bookable appointments. The careers advisors are available on Mondays at University Campus and Wednesdays and Thursdsays at Knightstone Campus.

Counselling (a free and confidential service)

We have onsite counsellors who offer an opportunity to talk about personal issues in a private and relaxed setting. Our counsellors can help with relationship difficulties, anxiety/stress, self-esteem, loss, addiction, decision making and moving on.

Mitigating/extenuating circumstances

If you experience something major outside of your control that affects your ability to sit an exam or submit a piece of coursework, then you may be eligible to apply for mitigating/extenuating circumstances. We can help you go through the necessary forms and advise you of any evidence you will need to help you with your application.


HEART are here for you throughout the year, providing a friendly and helpful service to help you with your accommodation needs. We are here to advise on and allocate the degree-level student accommodation and are able to help those students who may wish to find their own privately rented accommodation. We organise termly house meetings with our first year students to talk through any issues that the house may have. We also help second and third year students find rented accommodation and will give information and advice on what to look for when privately renting.

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

If you are applying for a degree-level course and have a learning difficulty and/or disability, you may be entitled to a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). This provides additional funding for education-related support, resources and/or equipment.

We have a range of support services available to students with physical disabilities, mental health conditions, learning difficulties and/or disabilities, to provide equal access to all our provision. To discuss your individual requirements, contact the Learning Support Team on 01934 411 558.

Disabled Students’ Allowances Non Medical Help Charge Rates. Download the full charge list.

Autism spectrum

We have a dedicated Autism Specialist Support Instructor for Higher Education students who is here to help make the transition from school to university as smooth as possible by providing mentoring and arranging study support.

We also run an annual summer school for students with autism, high anxiety and social communication difficulties to gain valuable academic and social skills before they start their course.

For more information, contact Sarah Pritchard on 01934 411420 or text 07891 227664.

Care leavers

We offer a range of additional personal and financial support for care leavers, including guaranteed year-round accommodation.

UCW has been accredited with the Buttle UK Quality Mark for our support for Looked After Children and Care Leavers in Further and Higher Education. The Quality Mark rewards excellence, recognising and celebrating the work institutions do to raise aspirations among children and young people in and leaving care and to help them access and succeed in college, university and beyond.

If you are a care leaver, estranged, or a young carer, your single point of contact is Abby Dobson, Deputy Academic Registrar. Contact Abby by email (click here) or call 01934 411411 and ask for extension 1323.

Personal tutors

We make sure that all our students have a personal tutor so that you get the individual support and advice you need. Your tutor will listen to any worries you have and give you regular feedback on how you are getting on at college. We also have an open door policy, meaning that your tutor is available on an informal basis to discuss any concerns you may have, as well as for formal tutorial sessions.