Update in relation to the COVID-19 situation and University Centre Weston.
All of our campuses remain closed.
Even though our buildings are closed, we are not. UCW's HEART student services team are still available for our students and applicants and are able to provide support and guidance on a range of matters over the phone or via online platforms. Please contact them on 01934 411 403 or HEART@ucw.ac.uk.
We completely understand that many of our students, new and returning, are feeling anxious about September. Your health and safety has been the overriding priority throughout all of the work we have put in over the past few months in coming up with an approach to ensure you can continue to look forward to a fantastic time at UCW.
Our plans include:
- Maximising face-to face teaching, whilst continuing with a blend of online and face-to-face teaching. All sessions will, however, be recorded should you be required to not attend lectures because of shielding or self-isolation and need to access them or take part at home.
- Extending our opening hours to provide more flexibility in your timetables and access to specialist facilities.
- Implementing social distancing measures in all buildings at all times. This will include introducing one-way systems and making space in every classroom, library and learning area so students can study with adequate space.
- Opening our buildings to students and staff as planned from Monday 14 September, with all facilities will be subjected to enhanced and professional cleaning services.
- Widening our Headstart Study Skills programme for new and returning students to make sure you feel confident you have the academic and personal skills you need to succeed.
- Replacing all traditional exams with modern assessment methods.
- Providing additional and interest-free loans on top of tuition fee and maintenance loans should you need financial support to purchase equipment so you can work from home.
- Introducing ‘bubbles’ of students from the same courses in the student accommodation provided by our accommodation partners to ensure, for example, that performers can continue to work together on routines even under lockdown.
- Improving our already-outstanding student support services by making staff available online and in-person for longer hours.
- Working with local entertainment venues to develop a virtual Freshers’ Week, if necessary, so you can still get to know your fellow students and be part of our UCW community.
Please follow the latest government and Public Health England advice to stay at alert and not attend UCW until further notice.
Updates about UCW and Covid-19 will continue to be published here and on our UCWeston social media channels.
Please contact the HEART team, your tutors or anybody at UCW if you have any questions about any of the above.
What to do if you have symptoms
In line with the latest guidance:
Self-isolate for 7 days if you have either:
- a high temperature
- a new continuous cough
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
- tested positive for coronavirus or are awaiting the results of a coronavirus test.
If you live with other people or if you are part of a support bubble, everybody should stay at home for 14 days from the day the first person got symptoms.
Please also inform your tutor if you have tested positive for coronavirus or have any of the symptoms and are self-isolating.
Information and support
Where can I find the latest information about coronavirus?
This continues to be an evolving situation and staff and students are asked to continue to visit and regularly check the following websites for the latest updates and guidance:
What precautions should I be taking?
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If you are coughing or sneezing, cover your mouth and nose with a tissue. Throw the used tissue away into a bin and wash your hands. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your flexed (bent) elbow.
- Avoid close contact with anyone who you know has cold or flu symptoms.
- Check the travel advisories from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office prior to travelling abroad.