Frequently asked questions

If a student is applying to study a degree with us on a full-time basis, they will need to apply through UCAS. UCAS provides a comprehensive Parent Guide for each year of entry which you can download for free – just click here.
We accept a wide range of qualifications including A Levels, BTEC Extended Diplomas, NVQs and Access to Higher Education Diplomas. Please check the individual course page to determine what grades need to be achieved in a level 3 qualification.
Some of our degree courses require English and Maths level 2 qualifications; check individual course pages for further information. If a student is not required to have English and Maths level 2 to start their degree but would like to gain these qualifications, additional evening classes are offered to enable this.
A place at university does not need to be confirmed in order to apply for student finance; students should use their preferred choice of course and amend at a later date if necessary. The application process usually opens towards the end of January and we encourage students to apply as soon as possible to ensure their funding is in place ready for the start of their course.
To be assessed for means-tested finance, you will need to provide your P60 from the previous financial year. If you receive any taxable benefits, these also count as income and will need to be declared. To find out more about the evidence Student Finance can ask for, have a look through the information provided on
We send out accommodation booking forms to all students who have accepted their offer of a place with us at the same time, usually in June. We allocate accommodation on a first come first served basis, although we do prioritise out-of-areas students and students with certain disabilities. We will confirm allocations in August after we have confirmed results for all students holding a conditional offer.
None of our student accommodation is catered so students should be prepared to buy and prepare their own food. Kitchens in our student accommodation are equipped with basic equipment (electrical equipment, crockery, cutlery, pots and pans etc.) but students may like to bring some of their own equipment with them if they are cooking enthusiasts!
There are free-to-use washing machines in all of the accommodation properties.
We have a variety of rooms, some ensuite and some with shared bathrooms. If the preference is for an ensuite bathroom, this should be stated on the booking form and we will do our best to meet students’ preferences. Ensuite accommodation is slightly more expensive than non-ensuite, so this is worth considering.
Our accommodation properties more closely resemble shared housing than halls of residence, and as a result we do not have cleaners for communal areas. It will be the responsibility of students within each property to come to an arrangement on keeping communal areas clean and tidy.
We cash all deposit cheques in August once results have been confirmed. After this point, deposits are non-refundable. However, if students do not arrive in September and sign a contract for their accommodation, they will not be liable for the year’s rent.
Every student is entitled to different finance from the Student Loans Company depending on household income (your income if they are under 25), so some will find they have plenty of money to cover all their expenses and some will find it a bit tighter. Our advice is for you to sit down with your son/daughter once they’ve received their entitlement letter from Student Finance and put together a budget to see whether there is likely to be any shortfall. Remember that UCW also offers a number of scholarships so check if they are entitled to one of these. Students often think about finding a part-time job to fit around their studies; there are paid Student Ambassador positions within UCW which students are encouraged to apply for.
Materials or studio fees may be payable for some of our creative arts courses; please see the individual course pages for details. Residentials, expeditions and international trips are offered on many of our courses which will incur additional costs. However, these are never compulsory in order to complete the course. There are scholarships available which are awarded on a discretionary basis to help cover the costs of these trips.
Both to ensure we respect the privacy of our students and to comply with data protection law, we cannot discuss matters relating to individual students with a third party, even when the third party is a close relative.
Comprehensive welfare and learning support is provided by the HEART and Learning Support teams. We can also refer students to our in-house counselling service if they would like to make use of this. If students encounter any issues that prevent them from completing assessments, we can assist them in applying for Mitigating or Extenuating Circumstances.
If attendance drops to a level that we believe will impact a student’s studies, we will contact them to offer support with any issues that may be preventing them from attending. We strongly advise attending all sessions and encourage students to contact us as soon as possible if issues arise which impact their attendance.
UCW is open from 8am until 9pm Monday – Thursday and until 5pm on Friday, and there are ample computers available in the library, HE study room and open-access area of the University Centre. However, if students want to work from home, especially at weekends, they may like to bring their own laptop.
Students can purchase a discounted bus pass from UCW which will allow them to travel on any local First Bus or Crossville service, Monday – Friday, during term-time. These currently cost £70 a term. Weston-super-Mare is also on the main rail line from Bristol to Exeter; if your child intends to travel by train, they may wish to purchase a 16-25 railcard. There is limited student parking available at University Campus; parking for Knightstone Campus is in the surrounding residential streets.